ERU: The Lorax Plant — Conclusion

Although our final product did not turn out exactly as we’d hoped, we’re definitely on the right track!
Using the flex sensor, we set up varying responses depending on which direction the sensor was bent. We coded these function using multiple “if” and “other” statements. We then arranged for different quotes from Seuss’s The Lorax to appear on the serial monitor as the sensor was bent, with five second pauses between each reading. For visual interest, we also added lights to our display, such that different lights were lit depending on the magnitude of the bend. Ideally, the lights would be arranged to look like a tree, but due to the small size of our breadboards, we weren’t able to wire this design.
To extend our project to create a talking Lorax plant, we would need to apply the same type of coding to audio outputs. Although we lacked some of the necessary materials, this could be done through a program like Scratch. The sensor could be fastened to a plant, so that when the plant’s leaves are bent, the plant talks, reciting lines from The Lorax.
Our design process and implementation has taught us a lot about both the creativity afforded by arduinos and the challenges in meeting electronics goals. Throughout the course of the term, we had the opportunity to learn about wiring and cording for arduinos, and really enjoyed putting these skills to use as we worked on our project. Unfortunately, we also came across some obstacles, experiencing technical difficulties with our computers or the arduino program. Regardless, we’re pleased to have gained an introduction to arduinos and look forward to fiddling around with them more this summer!
Jess and Kara Blog #3 Image
Posted in Blog, Electronics for the Rest of Us! Tagged with: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*